Killer plants around usAdd to favourite
We have around us a lot of things, but we don’t know that some things can kill us. In this case, I say you about poisonous plants. You need to know this!
Poisonous plants can be found in many places. Hiking through the woods or venturing near streams and even working outdoors can represent a dangerous encounter with some of the world’s most poisonous plants.The oil released from them when in contact with the skin can be lethal; the same can happen if you burn these plants.What you inhale can lead to an entire system failure. So in order to prevent this from happening, here is a list of some of the most poisonous plants you can come across:
1. I think that it is a possibility that you have this plant in your garden. It is named Castor bean (Ricinus communis). This plant is one of the most poisonous in the world.
If you are poisoned with this plant’s beans, you will have diarrhea, hypotension, nausea and tachycardia and these seizures can persist a week. The toxic substance, ricin, can be found in the seeds and in the beans. Once the beans are crushed, the toxins are released. And even with one single seed, you can end a man’s life.
And not just any death, but a very agonizing one due to the severe effects that this plant has. The ricin attacks the cells and prevents them from producing the required proteins. Thus once the cells no longer function properly, the entire system can “shut down”.If you ingest the ricin, you will have symptoms such as abdominal pain, a burning sensation in mouth and throat, bloody diarrhea and purging. Without a medical attention, you can expect the death in 3-5 days.
Although castor is indigenous to the southeastern Mediterranean Basin, Eastern Africa, and India, today it is widespread throughout tropical regions and among top producers are India, People’s Republic of China, Brazil, Ethiopia, Paraguay, Thailand
• This plans holds the record for being the most dangerous and poisonous plant
2. Monkshood (Aconitum) is known as devil’s helmet, wolf’s bane, woman’s bane, blue rocket or aconite. It is known that plant’s toxins were used to kill wolfs; this is the reason for it is named “wolf’s bane”.Also, this plant was use in drugs’ composition. A dose between 20 and 40 ml can be fatal.At beginning you will have nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. It will continue with a sensation of burning in all body and abdomen’s burning, numbness in the face and mouth and tingling.
Other symptoms are sinus bradycardia, hypotension, ventricular arrhythmias, and difficulty in breathing, dizziness, confusion, sweating and headache.After death, it can be seen just the sign of asphyxia.
3. Be careful, you can have a violent death because of this plant. It names Western Water Hemlock (Cicuta douglasii). Other common names: cicuta, spotted water hemlock.This toxic plant grows in North America. Preferably in meadows, ponds and swamps.
It is a perennial plant and it belongs to the Apiaceae family. The flowers are very interesting due to their umbrella looking shape. The water hemlock is one of the most poisonous plants found in North America.The toxin called cicutoxin attacks central nervous system, causing loss consciousness and violent muscles contractions.
So don’t ingest it because after that you will be dead. The roots are packed with these toxins and can be very powerful during spring season.Side effects include abdominal pain, vomiting, tremors and can all lead to ventricular fibrillation which leads to death.
There are two types of hemlock:
• Water hemlock
• Poison hemlock. The poison hemlock kills paralyzing the respiratory system.
• Even a small dose can end a person’s life or animals if ingesting this plant
4. Although this plant looks gorgeous, it is a very poisonous plant. It names Oleander (Nerium Oleander). If you have children, please don’t let them near it.This plant has cardiac glycosides used in a therapeutic way, but you can dead when it is ingested.
The main symptoms are vomiting, nausea, excess salivation, diarrhea with blood or without and abdominal pain, shaking of the muscles, collapse and coma and death.
Don’t use this plant ever!
5. Strychnine tree is known as Quaker Button or poison nut, being native from South East Asia and India. The small seeds are very toxic.It is necessary to ingest 30 mg of this seeds to have a painful death with spasms of the facial muscles, convulsions and loss of consciousness. Muscles spasms cause the death by way of asphyxiation.
6. Belladonna is other poisonous plant, known as death cherries, deadly nightshade or Devil’s berries and is native to North Africa, Europe and Western Asia.Although berries play the greatest risk, whole plant is toxic. A dose between 10 and 20 berries can kill a man.
The symptoms are: sensitivity to light, tachycardia, dilated pupils, blurred vision, headache, loss of balance, flushing, staggering, rash, slurred speech, dry throat and mouth, urinary retention, hallucination, constipation, delirium, confusion and convulsions.
7. Ageratina allissima, known as white snakeroot, tall boneset, richweed or white sanicle, is native from eastern North America. It is a poisonous perennial herb.This plant can be consumed by cattle. When we eat the meal or drink the milk, we are poisoned. The poisoning is called “milk sickness”. The symptoms are: abdominal pain, severe thirst, violent vomiting, and loss of appetite, constipation, delirium, acetone breath, coma and death.
Abraham Lincoln’s mother died due to “milk sickness”.
8. Brugmansia is known as angel trumpet and unfortunately, these trumpets sing the song to death. All parts of this plant are poisonous. You may admire this beauty from a distance, because touching it can be lethal.Other common names: Brugmansia, Floripondio, Datura sauveolens.
The substance called scopolamine is what makes this plant so poisonous. It belongs to the Solanaceae family. This plant thrives in tropical climates and they can grow for almost 11 meters. The delicate flowers can be double or single blooms.The symptoms are: nausea, delirium, urinary retention, flushed skin, tachycardia, vomiting and diarrhea.
• In the past, this plant was used to generate hallucinogen states and even euphoria
• Brugmansia is forbidden to grow
Other common names: northern wolfsbane, yellow wolfsbane and yellow monkshood, leopard’s bane.Description: This is a perennial plant that usually grows in mountain regions. It is a part of the Buttercup family and has blue or purple flowers. The toxin that this plan has is called alkaloid pseudaconitine.
These types of toxins were used by people in Japan to hunt. How you might ask? They simply rubbed the poisonous substance of the plant all over the tips of their arrows and started to hunt the animals.
Side effects: Burning sensations in the limbs and abdominal pain. If ingested in large doses, a human can die from this within 6 hours.
• Some legends state that you can use this plant to identify werewolves
10. The White Snakeroot
Other common names: deerwort-boneset, fall poison, hemp-agrimony, Indian sanicle, milk-sickness plant, richweed, squaw-weed, white top etc.
Description: The plant is a member of the Asteraceae family and it can grow up to 1.5 meters and has single or multiple stems. It contains a toxin called tremetol, which is very dangerous. The flowers are white and it grows in woods.
Side effects: Acute gut pain accompanied by vomiting. Cattle normally ingest this kind of plant and the toxins can contaminate their meat and milk. This is why when drink the milk and you get sick, you suffer from “milk sickness”.Even though the plant can still be found in the woods today, the disease no longer occurs due to the modern techniques used in the milk production.
• Back in the old days, the Native Americans made good use of this plant and cured snakebites
Out there are many poisonous plants. You must be careful. I think that you don’t want to be a bereaved. Teach your children about these dangers.If you don’t learn them about these plants before now, it is time to do this. People die every day because they are not careful where they walk, what they eat and what they do. Children die every day because their parents don’t watch out them.
What did a child know about poisonous plants? Some parents protect their children of any danger, but they don’t protect them of dangers which are around them.Dangers are everywhere and we are obligated to appreciate our lives.